Skip to main content

How Do Chrome Extensions Impact Website Performance In 2024?

• 20 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Chrome extensions can add useful functionality to the browser, but they can also slow down your browsing experience. We’ve tested the page speed impact of 5,000 Chrome extensions as part of our 2024 report on Chrome extension performance.

Find out what popular extensions increase CPU processing, how some extensions delay page load times, and what difference ad blockers can make.

Full article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

They can, as we just recently discovered thanks to Webroot Secure Anywhere. get easily infected. My wife’s machine is a MacBook Pro, and WSA turned red the other day. Seems her Chrome browser and many of its Chrome extension were listed as having infections.  So for her (and me) , Chrome is gone completely, and we are both using Safari. If I need Chrome, I run Brave, a Chrome Open Source browser that has better security built in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +52

Chrome Open Source browser 

Most of Chrome's source code comes from Google's free and open-source software project Chromium, but Chrome is licensed as proprietary freeware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Often have clients who get pop ups or extension infections through Chrome. Unfortunately it is the web browser of choice for many Mac users.