Interesting problem and fix: Webroot Complete

• 24 November 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

My wife’s little Acer laptop would come up with 10 Rootkit threats, which would be swept clean and re-occur every couple days.
I opened a support ticket and reported the items as perhaps False Positives, and was asked for logs using the wsalogs gathering tool.
I was then instructed to Uninstall/reinstall Webroot in a certain manner for Windows 10 and assured this would fix the problem
After installing and entering the keycode it would begin its initial scan and at approx. 50% I would get a dialogue box indicating that “Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart your machine”, etc, etc…………..ending in “Bad Pool Header”.
System would restart OK and Webroot would be in the taskbar. Began scan with Webroot which discovered the same 10 threats. Cleaned with Webroot once again.
This occurred 2 times when attempting to uninstall/reinstall with the same result.
Finally uninstalled for the 3rd time/restarted, utilized regedit and removed all traces of Webroot from the Registry. Restarted once again, Reinstalled Webroot and it completed the initial scan, and the first scheduled scan, finding no traces of Malware.
Appears to have been a glitch in the registry as no further problems have been encountered, to date!
I would expect that the uninstaller should uninstall completely! As we cannot expect a Novice to fool with the Registry.

Perhaps post should be moved??

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I believe this post should be moved to........................more interesting than Security???
Userlevel 7
Moved as requested, Lyle. ;)

And have to add that whilst I am not disagreeing with what you saw/found I would be willing to bet that there was something else at play here...perhaps also in the Registry, as I have never seen or experienced this problem as a result of not clear ALL WSA references from the Registry.

Certainly an interesting one.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Had to do that a lot when uninstalling a Scottish sounding anti virus program ( i'm not naming it as then i have to write a ten page essay entitled "thou shalt not mention that product here" 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Thanks for the move. Fits better here!