YouTube swtiches from Flash to HTML5, Goodbye Flash

• 29 January 2015
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52

YouTube to host videos in HTML5 now after years of Flash videos

No one notice the video streaming giant YouTube quitely moved from providing Flash based videos to HTML5 based videos on desktop.  If this had happened a few year ago there would have a huge brouhaha of online users but no one seems to have noticed the change happening now.

For one, till a few years ago Flash was considered ultimate for providing video or animation based graphics online. In fact it would have been seen as a sacrilege to use any other medium for videos. But over the years things have changed radically, Adobe is not what it was a few years ago and Adobe’s Flash has become less relevant now a days.

Also technology wise things are different now.  Till a few years ago every thing online was woven around Microsoft Internet Explorer and Flash was one of them.  Not anymore, IE itself is on verge of becoming irrelevant with Microsoft itself ditching is partly for Windows 10 Preview version. Also with new technologies came new browsers which were capable of supporting different formats without a hitch.  Google Chromium project of one of these projects and almost all popular browsers now tend to use Chromium for their browsers.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Goodbye Flash is a great thought but it seems lots of companies have not yet followed Google's lead. I'm sure we'll all be delighted when we can confine flashplayer to the dustbin but I'm not holding my breath. My bank uses it with their online banking - which rather makes me want to change banks!