Skip to main content
Solved

File named C:Program

• 17 January 2014
  • 26 replies

I have a Windows XP Pro machine with WRSA running (for a couple of years), and last night at 7:51pm AST a file named "Program" was created in the root directory (i.e., C:). As such, I received the Windows File Name Warning upon reboot that "There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:Program" which could cause certain applications to not fuction correctly. Renamintg it to "C:Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?"

Properties of the file indicate that it is 743 KB with a description of "Webroot SecureAnywhere" and is digitally signed as "Webroot Inc." with a digital signature timestamp of "Jan 14, 2014 7:36:45 AM". A hexdump of the file shows at the top the standard "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" and at the bottom, there appears things like "Company Name - Webroot", etc.

We have had WRSA installed for a couple of years and did not do anything special yesterday. Do you know what this file is, and why it is labled as Webroot? Also, is this an automatic update or something that went awry?

Thanks,

Shane

26 replies

This is definitely still a problem. And I still don’t understand how to fix it through any of these instructions unfortunately because I am not a computer genius at all.