hack attack

I received a message that my computer was being attacked and I had to call Microsoft to get help with it.  I could not get off the screen and the message said I should not shut down.  I called the number and was successful on the third try.  The person said he needed to access my computer.  I said how did I know he wasn't accessing my info and he said it was a software problem, not a computer problem and so I allowed him access.  I asked why webroot had not picked up the problem and said it was a campi.  He then showed me the definition.  He then said Microsoft could fix my problem and it would take about 2 hours for the technicians to fix it.  I told him I would rather take it in myself.  Was this a new kind of scam?  Should I stop using my computer until it is fixed by someone?  Please advise.  Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi judyheywood

Thanks for letting us know...that is great news. :D

The Webroot Support Team are the best when it comes to this sort of thing. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Tech support helped and said my computer was clean.  Yahoo!  A job well done.  Once again, many thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hi judyheywood

Welcome ot the Community Forums.

I am afraid that this is most likely a scam...how would anyone know that your system was being attacked and then able to ask you to phone a specific phone number? 

My recommendation to you is that you immediately Open a Support Ticket, explain to the Support Team what has happened and get them to check your system out to make sure that there is nothing amiss/they people you granted access to your system to have not installed something malicious or suspicious.

I would not do anything that relates to anything that is personal or financial until the Support Team have advised that the system is not compromised.

Regards, Baldrick