I just installed my own modem. Is there something that I need to do to make it more secure?

• 21 October 2014
  • 5 replies

Do I need to do more to make my system more secure since the network is now public?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Do I need to do more to make my system more secure since the network is now public?
Hello Orekat,

Welcome to the Community!

There are lots of articles if you Google this...installed my own modem. Is there something that I need to do to make it more secure?

Here is a User Guide that might be helpful. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm and here as well http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm

If you have your Firewall set and Webroot installed you should be great!

Anybody else on the Forum have any advise?

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi Orekat

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Just to check because sometimes there is confusion...you are talking about a modem rather than a router that has a modem built in, i.e., one that you might use with an ADSL connection?

If it is the latter, i.e., a router that has a modem built in, then ypu most probably quite secure behind that as configured by default, together with WSA also installed on your system. If it really is just a modem then whilst WSA should be fine if you are looking for additional securty/protection then you may wish to consider a layered approach, i.e., running one or more additional security apps but which one(s) is a moot point which we cannot really go into here as this is the Webroot Forum and we concentrate/focus on WSA.

I will say that I run a combo that I like but that is as far as I will go in open forum. As Sherry quite rightly stated there is much material on this on the Internet...I am interested in how younproceed in this matter so if you go forward then please do post back here and keep us posted on how things are going for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you.  I didn't know I needed the Windows firewall on.  It is now!  I believe I am secure, just never had my own modem before.
Thanks.  I am not that tech savy.  It is a modem, at least that is what the box said.  Motorola Surfboard 200 series Modem (SB6121).  I have turned on my Windows firewall, which was off.  So I am good to go?
Userlevel 7
Hi Orekat

Thanks for the reply...OK, with a modem which is what you have yo are more reliant on the defenses on your PC than if you connect with a router...but having WSA installed and now having made sure that Windows Firewall is turned on you should be much safer.

To help you with using/manging the firewall I recommend that you make use of the Knowledge Base article available, and to find them you can siimply enter 'Windows Firewall ' (without the '') into the search panel in the top right of the page, and select 'Knowledge Base'...see the screen shot below:

which should then display a list of KB articles matching the entered search words, as follows:

and in that you should find articles of use/interest...I have highlighted a couple you may like to start with.

I hope that helps...and please do come back if you have any further questions on this or any other subject re. WSA, etc.

Regards, Baldrick