Skip to main content
Can anyone tell me how to delete a user from the Manage User dropdown. I created a fictitious user because I am having a problem with Backup and Sync. I am the only one who uses the computer and being the Administrator, it will not allow me access to perform backups. When I created the fictitious user it allowed it access to backups. I have been trying all day to resolve the problem, even contacting Webroot support and uninstalling and reinstalling Essentials. Not only do I not have access to Backups and a fictitious user, my file manager shows my computer three times and it will not let me delete any of them.
Hello JDMoose,

It seems like you do have some sort of problem going on there. I wouldn't try to delete anything right now until you hear from the Webroot Team.
Hey JDMoose,

Make sure that your account and users have Admin settings enabled.

Changing User Permissions

1. Login to your My Webroot Account
  2. Click the drop-down arrow on your email address and go to Manage Users
  3. Click Edit user Details/Permissions at the right of each user
  4. Click the Access & Permissions tab
  5. Make sure that Passwords and Backups are both checked
  6. Click Save Access & Permissions

Thanks for the advice.  I've tried doing what you instructed many times. I am using Essentials, so Password is grayed out. I do check Backups, but it still comes out No Access. This is how I made the mistake of creating a New user, but it will allow the new user access. I have even tried to uninstall and reinstall with the same results.
You mentioned that it will allow the new user access, can you log in to this user and change the permissions settings for any other users associated with the account? I will be able to take a closer look on Monday when I have access to your account on the back end.
I apologize for giving you the incorrect info. It will give me the new user that I just added from the Manage User page with another email address that I use, that lets you Create a New User. It will not allow me to change it to not Active. My main user that I use is the user that it will show not active for backups. It also added 4 Sync folders and Magic Briefcases to  my Open FIle Manager under Backup and Sync tab. No matter what I do I cannot get it to work. I've even done a clean uninstall and reinstall and everything stays the same. Everything that I've tried will not change what is already there.
Please try logging in to the My Webroot Account using the other email address that you mentioned and then trying the permissions instructions I had given. If this still does not work you can Open a Support Ticket and I will be able to take a look on the back end tomorrow.

Please Send me a Private Message with the two email addresses you have used on the My Webroot Account as well as the one you use to open a support ticket.
I sent you a PM. Hope it helps
Thank you for your patience in this JDMoose.

You are now set up and your Backup & Sync is working on the new My Webroot Account.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!