Solved

my printer spit out a random page

• 2 August 2016
  • 3 replies

My wireless printer is connected by wifi to a laptop that I rarely use and didn't bother to install webroot on and by usb to this computer that has webroot installed. Both computers are connected to internet via wifi. I just set up the wireless connection to my laptop the other day. Anyway this morning I found a very hateful racist page in my printer's output tray. It had swastikas on it and was supporting killing children and adults of non-white races in very graphic description. I was very alarmed and reported it to the local police dept but they couldn't give me any advice on the possible security breech of my computer or printer. So my question is how do I know what is hacked? There is no sign of malware on either computer that I can find but I am very limited in my knowledge of detecting threats. What do I do?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 2 August 2016, 22:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi skylarscomputer

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It looks like you have been subjected to something akin to what is described in this recent Security News post. The best thing that I think that youcan do in this circumstance is to Open a Support Ticket to let the Support Team know of the issue and see what the professional advise in this circumstance.

Please do post back with the details of the advice they provide.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank-you! I could find nothing at all similar by googling. Good to know I am not specifically targeted. The webroot support team said to set up a password for my router. I just left the original passwords. I suppose that is an elementary mistake.
Userlevel 7
Hi skylarscomputer

That is not an uncommon occurence, and having been bitten once like that many, many moons ago, I automatically change the passwords from the default or the one supplied with the device or software before I use it.

Luckily, it would appear that the 'attack' was random in nature...and it just about the only area that WSA does not secure.

Regards, Baldrick