"Powershell has stopped working" message. Have scanned for virus and says threats removed.

• 1 December 2014
  • 5 replies

Followed a series of instructions that had me do two scans at the system prompt yielding no issues.   The instructions then had three different websites to go to so I could download something to remove the threat completely.  I get a message that states that my security settings will not allow files to be downloaded.  Not sure how to proceed.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello LDev, and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Edit: On further research, I'd advise to open the Support Ticket first, so they can take a look.

You may also like to run a System File Check  ,and make sure Windows Updates are currently up to date also,. 

May I ask what "series of instructions" to scan was that?

Don't follow any prompts from an unknown program to go anywhere or download anything...it is a scam, and to be avoided.

If you've scanned with Webroot, and it is clean then you're ok, but could you take a look in quarantine (tab after clicking pc security on interface), and see if anything there.

Some others may chime in, but let us know of any questions or info.

You can always open a ticket for peace of mind: Submit a Support Ticket
This is caused by a malware called Poweliks. It changes the browser security settings to prevent files from downloading, so it would be best to perform the steps in safe mode. I ran the scans and steps in safe mode suggest in this guide and that fixed the issue: <snip url to site as contrary to Community Guidelines...members should contact usi9902 by PM for details if interested> ; Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Hi usi9902

Many thanks for the update...that is indeed good to know.  Unfortunately had to remove the url reference to the site you referenced as we do not allow such references here to such sites (for a number of reasons as we do not knnow if they are reputable, etc.)

Have suggested that interested users PM you if they would like the information as to where you found the solution and what that is.

But thaks again for taking the time to come back and post that you have resolved the issue.  That is a great help to others here in the Community.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks - not a problem. anyone who would like to know  how i fixed it can PM me.
Userlevel 7
Hi usi9902

Many thanks for your understanding in this matter and your offer to us to take up  the option of a PM for more information.  Both are much appreicated.

Regards, Baldrick