Remote installation via GPO... Error %%1274

  • 12 January 2016
  • 5 replies

I searched first, but didn't find this topic. However, I think there must be more people with this problem.
I am trying to deploy via GPO, but several of the machines never accept the installation. The logs show error %%1274, and verbiage like this:
"Failed to apply changes to software installation settings.  The installation of software deployed through Group Policy for this user has been delayed until the next logon because the changes must be applied before the user logon.  The error was : %%1274"

"The assignment of application Webroot SecureAnywhere from policy AV Deploy failed.  The error was : %%1274"
"The Group Policy Client Side Extension Software Installation was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must be processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance."
I've found other forums stating I need to set the policy to "wait for network connections" or set the default wait time to 30 seconds, or 60 seconds, or off and back on, but nothing works. Some of our computers execute the installation fine, and others don't.
Anyone else experience this problem?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It looks like you've tried some of the stuff in this thread already:

Some of the people are reporting that you have to go higher than 60 seconds, so you could try 90 or 120.

I'll also check in with our support folks and see if they have other suggestions to try.
Yes, that's the page I followed. It's just weird that it works fine on some workstations and fails on others.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah that is strange. There must be some differences in configuration or something on those ones. I chatted with the support folks and unfortunately troubleshooting GPO issues is outside of the scope of what they can help with due to the complexity and range of different setups. How many machines are failing? If it's not too many then maybe a manual installation or emailing the installer to the end user would be the easier way to go. You could also try something like PDQ Deploy instead of GPO to push it out.
I just manually installed on the few that had this issue. I remember this happening at my prior company, too. I just did manual installs then, as well. If I was at a much larger company it would be a problem, but at our size it's not too onerous. I just wish I knew the exact cause. Anyways, chalk it up to another vagary of Microsoft machinations.
I have exactly the same problem!
Our DC is Windows Server 2012 R2, clients are all on Windows 10 Pro x64.
What Ifound out is that running the Network ID wizard (or leaving and then re-joining the domain) on the problematic computers helps - once the PC is restarted after joining the domain, it picks up every single GP and the installations of software packages happen.
What's interesting, is that the clients work as normal - e.g., they don't look like computers which lost trustrelationship with the domain or which use cached user's profile.
If anyone out there knows why on Earth computers behave like if they were not communicating properly with the domain, and how to fix it, that would be great :-)