WSDeamon can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
So last night my Mac asks if I want to upgrade to Catalina, sure, why not... Then this morning #Webroot my antivirus software pops up a message 'something is wrong' so I click on OK to dismiss it and it pops back up. Lather rinse repeat ad nauseam.

Try to uninstall it but can't cuz it's running. Can't shut it down because it's broke and there's no user interface to shut it down in. Kill it and it starts right back up. Rename the executable so it can't start back up and kill it. Reboot to clean things up and it restarts. It knows what I renamed it to!

Rename it *again* kill it uninstall it and delete the renamed executable. Reboot. It's not running. Me 1 Webroot 0.

Download the latest version try to install it, install isn't working the way it should. Manually move it to the Applications folder and start it up, nothing happens. But it is running. Dick around with for a while but got other things to do...

Come back to it this afternoon, call #Webroot support, your expected wait time is 25 minutes... 20 minutes later Zack picks up, explain the problem, Mac installed Catalina. At this point patience is inversely proportional to exasperation, am told #Webroot doesn't support Catalina... WHAT?

The premier antivirus software for Macs doesn't run on the latest OS version? They didn't see this coming? They couldn't send an email saying don't upgrade yet? They couldn't put a known issue recording on there support line? They make you wait 20 minutes on hold?

Zack sends me an email saying I have a message waiting and a link to it and supplies username and temporary password. They. Don't. Work. Call Webroot back. Wait another 10 minutes on hold. Spend the next 30 minutes getting this account working. Problem after problem after problem... On their end. Not mine. OMG!

Haven't been real happy with #Webroot for a while, this might be the last straw. When #Webroot expires might not be repurchasing. And might even switch before that since the Mac has no working antivirus at that moment.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello @leermann Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.

Webroot for Mac is NOT COMPATIBLE with macOS Catalina 10.15. Please see this Post:

If you are unable to uninstall WSA from your Mac computer Please submit a Support Ticket or Contact Webroot Support to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.
Support Ticket System is Open 24/7

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

@leermann I'm going to ping the Webroot Employees since you also had trouble with Webroot Support. @freydrew @EFurtado

I'm very sorry that you are having problems with your Mac and WSA. I am only a Volunteer here on the forum and not an Employee of Webroot. I totally agree with you that Webroot should have sent notice by email to all members that WSA was incompatible with macOS Catalina.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I was on the phone with support twice, no sense in opening a ticket it's broke until it's fixed.

Providing a link saying it's not compatible after the fact is moot. They should have sent notices out via email.

Why would I think to go look for something when there's never been a need to previously?
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
so, there is nothing that can be done? The company does not plan to make it work with OS Catalina?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
No they didn't say that, said they're working on it...
Badge +1
Webroot didn’t work right on my MAC before the update and they keep telling me to wait for the new release - HA as in not funny!!

It really is too bad Webroot didn’t let people know their software wouldn’t work before a lot of people installed Catalina….

As soon as my subscription with Webroot expires, I’ll be going to another application.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Please see this update from our product manager:
Badge +1

EmmaWebRoot, I had the issue of “WebRoot can’t be opened because Apple can’t check it for malicious software”. I did your workaround just now, and it got rid of the problem. Please keep me appraised of when the Catalina-compatible WebRoot is ready. Thank you.


Meanwhile, can we/I get a refund for this loss of time that we are paying for your product while getting no return from it?


Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9



Just another impacted customer here, commenting on your post ... 


Excellent request and question!!!


Please keep me apprised of when the Catalina-compatible WebRoot is ready.

To the best of my knowledge, users with Catalina issues have had to call, or visit this forum for updates. (The latest forum update can be found here.) In other words, Webroot has not been sending updates directly to users, at least not so far. 


For me, the plan is to continue monitoring this forum. 


Meanwhile, can we/I get a refund for this loss of time that we are paying for your product while getting no return from it?

I cannot ‘speak’ for Webroot, nor can I predict ‘how’ they will address this issue, if at all. Notwithstanding, I share your concern (i.e., it is not ‘right’ that we pay for days of protection that we are not receiving). So, I called Webroot and “froze” my account. During this “freeze” period, the remaining days in my subscription will be ‘preserved/saved’ until I reactivate the account. 

Note - I am not saying that an account “freeze” is ‘right’ for everyone. In fact, it will undoubtedly prevent ‘passive/automatic’ service restoration when Webroot is ready with a ‘fix’, assuming Webroot is still installed. Nevertheless, it was the ‘right’ choice for me. This is the case as I have uninstalled Webroot, and switched, albeit temporarily, to a ‘competitive/compatible’ security product.  

Userlevel 7

So, I called Webroot and “froze” my account. During this “freeze” period, the remaining days in my subscription will be ‘preserved/saved’ until I reactivate the account


Thank you @BurnedByCatalina for that information. I didn’t know you could “Freeze Your Account (Keycode)”  Is this something new with Webroot @freydrew@EmmaWebroot ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9



I upgraded to Catalina in early OCT, and immediately lost my Webroot ‘protection’. Would have preferred to wait for Webroot to resolve the incompatibility issue. However, I was not willing to go without ‘protection’ until their expected resolution date (i.e., mid-NOV). 


Needed help uninstalling Webroot to allow for a ‘competitive/compatible’ security product. When I called for this assistance on 10/18/19, also reviewed options for the balance of my existing Webroot subscription. Since I plan to return to Webroot, I opted for the account “freeze” that the rep offered.   


Note - I have no idea how Webroot plans to address this ‘down time’ with their customers. Further, I am not suggesting that others “freeze” their accounts. Just sharing my personal experiences.