Browsers become unresponsive with Identity Protection enabled

Badge +2
Has anyone had trouble with the Identity Protection causing browsers to become unresponsive? For about the last two months I've been having this problem, but it wasn't until today that I discovered that the Identity Protection was the (web)root of the problem. When this happens, my computer will become unresponsive as well. I tried so many things, like disabling extensions, uninstalling other programs. I even reinstalled Windows. (8.1) Finally I tried disabling Identity Protection for my browsers for some reason and the problem vanished. I've used WebRoot for over a year without this issue. It doesn't seem to affect my Windows 7 machine. It seems like since the recent updates to 8.1 is when it started happening. Any help would be appreciated. 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hi

Check the permissions of the programs in the settings

Managing protected applications

Thank you
Petr.
Badge +2
This is what I had to change. When I changed Chrome to "allow" my problems went away. As long as Chrome was set to "protect" I had the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA? Please follow the following steps:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Please let us know if that corrects your issue? If not then we will look at alternative avenues to try and solve this for you.

Thanks,
Badge +2
I already did a re-install, but I'll give it another shot. I believe that I did import my settings the last time. This time I'll start from scratch. Also, there's no obvious way to uninstall in Windows 8.1. I believe I still have the instructions on how to do so. WebRoot isn't listed in the Programs and Features uninstall list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Webroot PC Removal/Upgrade Tool

• Intended as a tool to be used during the upgrade from older versions of Webroot software (2011 and previous products) to the WSA product line, this tool may help removing such legacy Webroot applications when normal methods fail.  It is suggested to make a restore point first!  
 http://download.webroot.com/WRUpgradeTool.exe

Run as administrator, and then restart the computer
Userlevel 7
The uninstall utility mentioned by Petrovic is only for legacy versions of Webroot (2011 and prior).  I do not think it applies in this case.

I suggest you file a Trouble Ticket for this one.  While seeming extremely rare, I have heard of this happening before.
Badge +2
I do have the latest version so I won't be using the tool. I contacted support when I wanted to uninstall the last time and I have the email response. In Windows 8.1, if you enter into the search field on the computer:( "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" -uninstall ), (quotes and all) it will provide the link to the uninstall app;ication on the computer.
Badge +2
I have no clue where the smiley came from.
Userlevel 7
The smiley was automatically placed by having a : and a ( next to each other without a space... at least it is the sad face which is appropriate to the reply eh?  :)

If those directions from Support are not working at this time, I would suggest you update that Ticket letting them know.
Badge +2
I'm beginning to think that the root of the problem may lie somewhere else, although still with WebRoot. I reinstalled WebRoot and the issue actually happened sooner, like within 20 minutes of surfing the Web. I left my computer for about an hour after it started again with Chrome minimized. Upon my return, when I opened the browser the window was totally black and unresponsive. It was about as bad as ever. And it slowed my computer to a crawl again as well. While I was away I was thinking about it and decided to try disabling the WebRoot filtering extension; something I hadn't thought of trying for some reason. In the hour that I've been online, the computer has been running like a dream. No issues whatsoever. And, the Identity Protection is activated for Chrome. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Best to contact Webroot support:
Support Ticket: https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp