IE 8 keeps hanging up and freezing on Windows XP SP3

  • 15 October 2012
  • 33 replies

Show first post

33 replies

One other item. plugin-container.exe is in my allowed Webroot firewall list. Actually I think it may be twice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you please Submit a Support Ticket so support can help you futher and please let us know the out come so it may help other users.
Userlevel 7
Just requesting the ID shield be disabled specifically.  Main window, click on the Identity & Privacy tab at the top, then click on the green "Switch" to the left of the words "Identity Shield is On" to turn it off.
Our SecureAnywhere firewall is a network firewall only ans doesn't care about memory consumption.  Are you certain it was a Webroot firewall warning specifically? 
The process "plugin-container.exe" is the Firefox sandbox for all plugins.  PDFs, Flash, and other things loaded inside the browser in plugins will load inside that process to try to keep them away from the rest of the computer.  If the plugin-container.exe process was taking up too much memory, there had to have been something flash (video, animated stuff, or a threat) loading, or something else that uses the plugin system loading, and taking up WAY more memory than it should.  This can be caused by so many diffrent things that I can't begin to speak on them unfortunately.  I looked to see if there were logs from your ticket, but if you supplied wsalogs results at any point, they were not from the email you used on the forums.  This case is best handled through the ticketing system though, since there are so many possibilities, the logs will help narrow it down.
Have not sent up any logs as of yet. I disabled the Webroot firewall and problem went away. Am I positive it was the Webroot firewall specifically. No. Is it some other function of Webroot. I do not know. But if you shut off the firewall and the problem disappears, what do you think. My interpretation is something in the Webroot firewall and Foxfire/Seamonkey do not coexist correctly. I will need to reable the Webroot firewall and wait for a crash again. I remember when it happens, it is always Webroot reporting the problem. The problem does not occur with Webroot firewall off. Never. I may decide to chase that problem or just leave the Webroot firewall off. I am using the windows firewall and besides I have hardware firewall set up in my router. So it is really a non issue for me. I guess it might help tech support or some other users if I sent up a log. When I find some time I will send it up.
I started using Webroot about 4 or 5 months ago. The antivirus section is  not even that good. It has missed viruses that my offline virus scanner that I have created a dvd for never misses. I have used Norton, AVG, Mcaffee, panda. They all have issues. But I have a subscription for a year and will keep an eye on it.
Userlevel 7
If it's occurring when the Webroot firewall is running, then the firewall has to be blocking something from connecting to the internet.  Unless you uninstalled an reinstalled Webroot or cleared out the old logs since the last time it happened, the logs will allow us to see what was connecting to where.  This is more worrisome since we normally only block cases where it would try to download a threat.  I'd say that the wsalogs.exe program is your best bet as long as you haven't cleared logs since the last time it crashed.
@Kit;  shut the identity shield off as you have suggested.  So far, no freezes so we may have isolated the area where the problem is coming from. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@;  shut the identity shield off as you have suggested.  So far, no freezes so we may have isolated the area where the problem is coming from. 
Excellent.  When you are comfortable considering this to be the definite source (I'm pretty sure it is), you may continue as described below.
Please check the "Edit/View Protected Applications" link under the Identity & Privacy tab.
Look for anything you absolutely trust marked as "Block".  If you find this, change it to Allow.  You are done and good to go in this case.  For bonus points, feel free to contact support and let them know what was under block that you allowed and fixed it.
Look for anything that you have absolutely no idea about marked as Block.  If you find this, and can't identify it, contact Support and advise them about the information I am giving here.  They will need a full set of wsalogs and will instruct you on how to get them if you have not done so already.
If you find nothing blocked, as a temporary measure you may set iexplore.exe to Allow instead of Protect and contact support.  They will need full wsalogs in that case and will instruct you on how to acquire them if you have not done so already.
Once this is done, in any case, you may turn the ID Shield back on.
Way too much info bonus section:
The ID shield specifically prevents blocked and sometimes certain other processes from accessing various resources when a protected browser window is open.  Applications should not have any problem when they can't get these, however in order for that to be the case, the application must be written properly, and if it isn't, it'll have problems.  If an addon in IE is being blocked from accessing IE and isn't written properly, it will freeze up IE while it tries to get the data it wants and can't.  If something else on the computer is trying to access IE and can't, it might freeze up other things on the computer while it is being blocked.
@kit - the only two items that show up in protected applications, both as protected are;
- regsvr32.exe
- iexplore.exe