Microsoft texted me of an unauthorized access. Keyboard blue screen. Windows 10 button inoperable.

• 11 July 2016
  • 3 replies

I use Webroot on a Windows 10 SAMSUNG 23 in all in one w/ core i5, etc.  No problems with W10 nor webroot.  No malware or virus on this pc before.  I log into the computer with my microsoft live id.  I was also using webroot password manager.

7/7 1:05 - I received a text from Microsoft that:  "Someone else might have accessed Microsoft account <my hotmail id>.  Recover at https://account.live.com.

I began to log on to my computer and when I hit any key on my microsoft bluetooth keyboard, the system would blue screen "IRQL ... not less or equal...   KBDCLASS.SYS.

This being an all-in-one with touch screen I was able to operate with that.  Since there were no issues reported in webroot, I ran hitmanpro.  it seemed to have only detected what looked to be inocuous adware tracking cookies.

I was able to roll back the keyboard driver to an earlier version and use the keyboard.

At least 2 additional problems exist that unless there is an easy fix, I'll probably restore from a backup in April.  They are:

The Windows button (on the screen - lower left corner), will not respond to a left click (but would respond to a right click).
I cannot swipe from the right to get the side menu.

There were no system restore points to restore to.

About a half hour or so after the hitman pro scan completed, webroot detected and displayed  threats in a couple old files (stress~1.exe (have had for many years in downloads folder), and some cnet downloaded mp3 converter (probably also in downloads).  This is the first and only threat webroot has detected on my system since I installed it months ago.

The most recent download activity before the issue was a zipped song download from Amazon.com.

I have seen some other posts regarding webroot and kbdclass.sys, but it appeared that webroot was cleared of being the culprit.

Can you help me in any way?  I think I had dump files enabled and you might be able to get them.  I'm concerned.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi timagraham

Welcomme to the Community Forums.

Given what you have described I would recommend that you Open a Support Ticket, linking this thread, so that the Support Team can review your issues and hopefully investigate/remedy them.

Regards, Baldrick
Sorry.  I wasn't sure where to post this.
Userlevel 7
Hi timagraham

Absoluetly no need to apologise...you have posted in the right place...it is just that the advice, based on what you have reported, is that your interests are best served by contacting Support immediately on the issue.

Where we can we help but in this case you are better off dealing direclty with the 'professionals' on the Support Team.

Please do come back here and let us know what they advise...it helps us improve the depth & breadth of assistance we can offer members.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Baldrick