Revisiting Webshield issues

• 21 December 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Win 7:  Web Shield displayed the icons using various colors to denote ratings.  It worked regardless of whether IE 11 was runnning natively or sandoxed using Sandboxie.

Win 8.1:  Web Shield worked in IE11 but not when sandboxed (only grey icons were displayed).  So, I would run both and then use the Sandboxed version to actually view the website.

Win 10:  Web Shield doesn't work at all.  Not even greyed icons appeare in IE11 or Edge.

Does that mean Web Shield is dead?  If not what can I do to resurrect it?  Using Brightcloud URL IP lookup is great but....

Edited to add the following:
A newly purchased license of Win 10 Pro 64 bit was installed on a new SSD drive
KeePass portable was "installed"
Webroot was installed
Emsisoft Internet Security was installed
Sandboxie was installed

That is it.  About as clean of a system as I can get.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Another search found  browsers that support our extensions which states that Webroot extensions (web shield?) is supported by IE 7 and higher on Win 10.  Per Webroot tech suppot Web shield is not supported in IE 11 on Win 8.1.  However, in Win 8.1 the webshield icons were gray.  In Win 10 they are non-existent.

Strange, really stranges.
No changes to system since this post was issued.  However, now the gray icons are appearing when the browser (IE11) is run sandboxed.  Still no icons of any color in Edge or IE11.

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Ok, this is nuts.

Open IE11
Delete all browsing history but "download history" and "Tracking Protection"
Search "Test"
no webshield icons.  Only websites, such as wikipedia, are listed. No amount of refreshing or clicking the search icon produces any webshield icons; gray or green. Proceed to page two and icons appear.  Back to previous page and, no icons.

Open IE11
Delete all browsing history but "download history" and "Tracking Protection"
Ssearch "microsoft account offline" and green icons appear.  Search for test, no icons, none, nada.

Thus, not all search pages, even those filled with web pages, result in webshield icons.  That, of course, is disconcerting.

Unfortunately, Webshield icons are still grey in  a Sandboxed browser.  So, back to opening two browsers, one for searching and another for accessing.  😞