Trouble with scan....will not complete past 10%

• 23 April 2014
  • 7 replies

It tells me there is one threat.  When I click on scan computer it will scan up to 10% and then it stalls...will not continue.  What is causing this and how do I fix it?  Thank you. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi HollyinWA

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_hi.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_hi.gifhttp://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sSig_hi.gif

This does occassionally happen and therefore the first thing to try is a clean reinstall of WSA, which is very simple and quick.

Please follow the following steps:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • Then try a manual scan again
Please let us know if that corrects your issue?  If not then we will look at alternative avenues to try and solve this for you.

Regards

Baldrick

(acknowledgement to @ / @ )

Thank you.  I did run a Spyware scan last night and cleaned a few things with that and I just ran RKill.  It did take some things off but I just tried scaning again and it is stalling again at 10% but the file it stalls at now is different since I guess some things were taken out.  When it stalled at 10% before there was a file that had Highjackthis or something like that.  Can it be a malware, trojan problem?
Userlevel 7
highjackthis is a utility used by some more advanced users trying to determine if there is an infection.  If that is on your computer and causing the WSA scan to halt at 10%, you will want to uninstall hijackthis and remove all data files from that program.

Also, that file may actually be leftovers from hijackthis that were deleted and placed into the recyble bin from the cleaning you mention, so this would be a good time to clear it, any windows Temp files you have, and your browser cache and temporary internet files as well.

Userlevel 7
Hi HollyinWA

David is quite correct in terms of HijackThis and if it is installed on your system (you should be able to tell if you check through Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel.  If you do find it then please undertake what David has suggested and see if that resolves the issue/gets you past the 10% mark.

If that does not help then try the clean reinstall.

Ultimately, I am wondering if this may be another case of the need to run CHKDSK to look & fix disk-related issues as I do recall a couple of cases in the past when similar behaviour was resolved by that action.  But that is action to take after you have tried the previous suggestions with no success.

Hi David, what do you think re. the CHKDSK angle?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
That may be needed indeed if the removal of un-needed files and the clean install dont work.

Hopefully it wont be though :-) 
Userlevel 7
Hi HollyinWA

OK, so as previously advised go with David's suggestion first and see if that allows a subsequant scan to exceed the 10% complete mark.  If that does not work then go for the uninstall/clean reinstall approach I suggested, and if that fails to resolve the situation satisfactorily then you will need to run a CHKDSK to check & fix any disk issues found.  

If it comes to that and you do not know how to do this then please refer to this MS article for guidance.  But if you are not confident enough to undertake this (apologies as I do not know your level of PC expertise) then you should Submit a Support Ticket, advising as to the issue and all that you have tried to resolve the issue, so that the Support Team can take a look at provide some assistance.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi HollyinWA

Hope that you are well?

Just wondering if your issue has been resolved or if not then whether you have more information on it to share with us so that we can look to continue to help you resolve/answer it?

Regards

Baldrick