Skip to main content

my pc is acting wierd

I am on my ACER ASPIRE V5-122P-0880 laptop.(Besides Webroot, I have SANDBOXIE to keep as much malware out as possible).  It took over 13 minutes to get to this WEBROOT COMMUNITY site to ask this question. My PC is SLOW. It ignores my "clicks". When I try to read my emails (gmail.com), it takes it's time getting to them; it lists my emails, but won't let me access them (yet!), first it tells me "SOMETHING IS WRONG", THEN IT FOLLOWS THIS WITH, "HAVING TROUBLE ACCESSING GOOGLE", then after a few moments it allows me to access my emails. During any activity, it takes at least 5-7 seconds to respond to selections (clicks). It takes (sometimes) as much as 32 seconds to come up with frequently used websites, when other days those websites responded "immediately". It frequently comes up with a message that the websites certificate is outdated, or invalid. Generally speaking, it gives me headaches and I keep thinking it's infected. But Webroot keeps scanning it and finds no malware. Are there other possibilities?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hi cpmadave, welcome to the community. How old is your Acer and do you have any other Anti Virus programs installed? And what is your Operating system?
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Hi acool12
My Acer is less than 1 yr old. My OS is W8.1. It may have come with one of MS's anti-virus, but I really don't know.
Thanks for reading, hope you can come up with something. I'm considering buying something better, but what...I don't know.     (I just checked all the PROGRAMS and can't find any other antivirus.)
I'm writing this on my desktop, not on the Acer laptop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
An Acer less than 1 year old should be running quite speedily and should be no need for an additional purchase at this time.
 Most Acer laptops come with a trial version of McAfee anti-virus. Can you check ControlPanel/Programs and Features, and see if it's listed there.Or any other anti-virus?
Microsoft would have come with Windows Defender, which if you haven' disabled would still be running. It should play nice with Webroot, but if I may I suggest disabling it. Control Panel/Windows Defender.How long does the Webroot Scan take?

You mention OS 8.1, and which Browser are you using? What happens if you disable Sandboxie?
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
First, I lied, I bought it 1/2014, so it's almost 2 yrs old. But I agree with you. I should not have to get a new laptop. So I'm trying to straighten it out and thanks for your help.
I went to control panel/programs and features. The only antivirus I can see is WEBROOT SECURE ANYWHERE. (It shows INSTALLED ON 11/20/15, which I don't understand, because it's been on since I bought it). There are 42 items listed, but none of the others look or sound like antivirus or anti malware or firewall programs. If Defender was part of the package, it must have been removed when I ordered Webroot. I am using Internet Explorer (I ass u me it's 11 or whatever the latest is.)
I will disable Sandboxie and see if things improve. I'll report back in a few hours, meanwhile I'm out of here on other duties. (Yes, even us 87 year olds have active lives!!)
Again, thanks for your time and hope we can clean up this little laptop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Mornin' Dave, Weeeeeeeeeell, yagot nine years on me! I will be away myself from 10am - 3pm PST, but, do hang in there and we will endeavor to get your machine a little speedier.

In the meantime give it a short shot without sandboxie..............Did you purchase from BestBuy?
Hi ?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but, have you tried resetting your Modem/Router (unplug both, wait 10 seconds, plug in modem, wait 30 seconds, plug in router)?

It seems that whenever my network starts hiccuping, like you describe, a reset often solves the problem for me.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Have a nice day, :)

bd
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Hi Burndaddy, thanks for joining in. I can use all the help I can get.
OK, here's where we learn about my total unawareness of my situation. The laptop I am discussing, has one wire...the AC charging cord. There is no other cord, attachment, or accessory connected to the laptop.
But, it must have some connection to a modem, otherwise how could it be doing any internet work? Sooooo, it must be wirelessly connected to my desktop. Right now, I am on my desktop doing this message. My desktop is, I assume, connected to a modem under my desk. I assume that is the modem you are referring to. The router you are referring to is, I assume, the Netgear router above my desk, that this computer is attached to.
I will be unplugging the two items, waiting the prescribed 10/30 seconds, replugging them, and see if it helps. Wish me luck. I'll report back in a while. 
Userlevel 7
Hi cpmadave

Have you tried another PC, i.e., a friend's, etc., using your connection or tried your PC over another connection, i.e., agains a friend's, etc.?

The reason I ask is I am wondering if it could have something to do with DNS settings? If it does and you have not touched them, i.e., theye are those that have been set by your ISP then you would be best advised to contact the ISP and see if there is anything they can do to check this out, and even discount it from the list of potential causes.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Hello Baldrick, welcome aboard. Good idea. I'll visit my daughter in a few days, take my laptop, and check out your suggestion.
Thanks, cpmadave
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
TO BURNDADDY..ACOOLDOZEN..BALDRICK:
Thanks for all your time and advice. I am following them all, and will report back.
With serious gratitude, cpmadave
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
TO ACOOLDOZEN...BURNDADDY...BALDRICK:
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'll be trying them & will report back
With much appreciation for your time & advice,
cpmadave
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
TO BALDRICK..ACOOLDOZEN...
Thanks for your time & suggestions...I'll be trying them all & will get back to you.
Sincere appreciation,
cpmadave

Userlevel 7
No worries, cpmadave, hope that something suggested assists/sorts out the issue for you.

Regards, Baldrick