Solved

Is Microsoft Edge protected by webroot?

Userlevel 1
Are there any issues with Webroot and Microsoft Edge?  I am not certain which browser to make as my default.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 31 August 2017, 19:01

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello ? and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

You can manually add Edge to the Identity Shield and it works but as James said add-ons and extensions are not supported at this time until Microsoft allows in the near future.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Here to add Edge to the Identity Shield:

Go here in the UI: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm and click on Add and go here and add both of these files to the ID Shield!

Userlevel 7
Hello,

The Edge browser does not support any add-ons, extensions, toolbars, or the like. As this was a decision by Microsoft, the Webroot toolbars and extensions (e.g. Password Manager Toolbar and Web Filtering Extension) are not compatible with the Edge browser. The best solution is to use an alternative browser that is compatible with the Webroot extensions. The following browsers are compatible with Webroot’s extensions:

Google Chrome™ 10.0 or higher
Mozilla Firefox 3.6 (32-bit only) or higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Userlevel 7
No problem at all! Have a great day!! :D
Userlevel 1
Just what I am looking for.

Many thanks for the quick response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I got that issue too. However when I add the protect function for MicrosoftEdge.exe, Edge works fine. Sometimes a little glitch but i can type after waiting for a samll bit or restart Edge. Its when i add the MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe is when my keyboard stops working on the url part. What's the difference between the two and will Webroot still protect Edge if I only add the MicrosoftEdge.exe portion rather thant the MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe?
Yes Webroot knows of those issues so at this time Microsoft Edge is still not supported at this time by Webroot SecureAnywhere.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't have an ETA of when we'll be on Edge. I know we still plan to, and my understanding is that Microsoft is working with partners individually to start with. So it all depends where we are in the Microsoft queue for approval to start migrating our extension to their platform.
Userlevel 4
You are indeed correct! Sites with malware are blocked even if the extension isn't there in Edge.

However, Webroot official states their product isn't officially supporting Edge. That's why I'm staying away from Edge at the moment. That and the fact that adding Edge to Identity Shield breaks the keyboard in Edge.

Thank you for all your feedback!

shadek
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
You are indeed correct! Sites with malware are blocked even if the extension isn't there in Edge.

However, Webroot official states their product isn't officially supporting Edge. That's why I'm staying away from Edge at the moment. That and the fact that adding Edge to Identity Shield breaks the keyboard in Edge.

Thank you for all your feedback!

shadek
Sure thing as I have been testing WSA with Edge even though it's not my main Browser! Also you must Manually add Edge in Identity Shield as well and it will be protected now for the last while. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Is-Microsoft-Edge-protected-by-webroot/m-p/249267#M24773 the only thing missing is the search annotations but it is fully protected if one does the manual additions in ID Shield. Can you explain a bit more as to the Keyboard issue as is it a touch screen as I use it on my Laptop and I don't have a touch screen so I can't test that.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
I must apologize for wasting your time on my last claim. I re-checked and it was just a Metro app, not an actual extension! Sorry! My question still stands though; what are Webroot's plans for Edge? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Really no need to apologise, shadek :D

The whole area is a bit confusing and takes some getting used to what with all the changes in 'apps this', 'applications that', and what the difference is between the two, etc.

Hopefully Nic can shed som light re. your questions and I am sure that if an Webroot Edge extension appears for beta testing then the beta testing group, who will get it first, will advise on that as and when.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

I do not think that those are the right ones. What I have registered under Identity Protection/Applications are the following: 

MicrosoftEdge.exe
MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe

which should reside under this path:

C:WindowsSystemAppsMicrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

Did you make sure that you had the 'Protect' radio button set against each entry? I have tried to type in the address bar and I am having no issues at all.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
OK, then what keyboard are you using...sounds like that is where you issue is rather than with Edge.
Userlevel 7
Well, shadek, that is definitively not normall and I am suspecting something specific to your system as being behind this as I cannot for the life of me replcaite the issue and I have not heard of it being reported before.

I would therefore recommed that you Open a Support Ticket ASAP, includinga link to this thread to avoid you having to key the detail of what you have tried, and seeing if the Support Team can identify the issue and resolve it for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

Yes, it may be that you and the other member have a configuration that is somewhat unusual? Support is now involved and you have obviously piqued their interest in this so hopefully they will do their usuall sterling job in terms of diagnosing & resolvingthe issue for you.

Please let us know what they come back to you with and what the final outcome is.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Thanks for the information!

Is your advice for customers to use other browsers than Edge to get maximum protection from Webroot?
Userlevel 7
Cheers, Nic...for the update. Good to have the low down. Hopefully it will not take too long to have this sorted. But better that time is taken and that it is right rather than rushed and potentially causes issues. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks for the information!

Is your advice for customers to use other browsers than Edge to get maximum protection from Webroot?
If you're wanting the checkmarks next to sites, then yes.   
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yep, that's what you'll get on Edge. So if you're ok without having the checkmarks for now then continue to use Edge, but if you can't live without them then use Chrome or FF in the meantime.
Yes as Edge doesn't support the Web Filter Extension still at this time but the Web Filter Driver is active for all Windows 10 users using Edge and not just us Beta testers and again the Web Filter driver is only active for Edge not any other Browsers for all but it is active to Beta testers.
I got that issue too. However when I add the protect function for MicrosoftEdge.exe, Edge works fine. Sometimes a little glitch but i can type after waiting for a samll bit or restart Edge. Its when i add the MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe is when my keyboard stops working on the url part. What's the difference between the two and will Webroot still protect Edge if I only add the MicrosoftEdge.exe portion rather thant the MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe?
Userlevel 4
Edge now supports addons since a few months. Are there any plans on making Edge a fully supported browser now?
Userlevel 4
Thank you for taking time answering! 

Webroot has already released their syncing extension to Edge, as far as I can see. That's partly why I'm wondering what Webroot's future strategy is with Edge.
Userlevel 7
Hi shadek

Not sure what you mean by "syncing extension" as when I consult the official Microsoft site for Edge-related extensions there is no reference to anything from Webroot at this moment.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Webroot will currently NOT filter or stop bad sites in Edge from where you can get virus.

However, Webroot should pick up the virus when it's downloaded onto harddrive.

EDIT: Few to none of the other security vendors provide protection to Edge yet, so it's not just Webroot. 
Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

I know what you mean...but rest assured that you are still well protected by WSA regardless as if a nasty should manage to access your system via a malcious site then WSA will jump on the payload by default...whatever.

However, you can enhance security by following the instruction provided by Daniel in Post #5 in this thread which explains how to manually add non supported browsers and other applicaitons to the Identity Protection Shield. Have a reread of that post and give it a try...it is simple and easy to do.

Regards, Baldrick