how do I fix - High Process Count - on a mac?

• 10 December 2013
  • 3 replies

Hi - I'm using a MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9) and the System Analyzer shows

1) "High Process Count may degrade performance".  I don't understand why I get this message because I'm not running that many applications.  In the System Control tab of Webroot SecureAnywhere I see many processes, but they all appear to be standard processes - i.e., Notification Center, UserEventAgent, Safari, accountsd, etc.

2) Safari geo location reporting enabled - I can't figure out what to disable to get this warning to disappear.  Tried System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> unchecked Location Services.  I don't see an option in Safari Preferences, version 7.0

Any help with the above is greatly appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ochoppy1812

Welcome to the Community Forums. :D

I am afraid that I am a Windows jockey and have little practical experience of of OSX, so in terms of your point 1. I would Open a Support Ticket and describe the issue in as much detail as possible so that Support can see if they can suggest something. 

I would also rerun the Analyzer (assume that you know where from) and when it completes click on 'View Report Details' (bottom left hand corner of GUI), and once that displays then click on 'Save Full Report' (next to Close in bottom right hand corner of GUI) and in the Text window that opens see if you can save the details to disk (am assuming here that Mac version functionality is similar to PC version functionality...:$).

If you do manage to save the details then attach the file to your Support Ticket submission.

Best I can do to help at moment.  Hope it does...if only a little?

Regards

Baldrick

FWIW I'm running Safari Version 7.0 (9537.71) on OS X 10.9 (13A603) - Have you checked this page in Safari preferences for this potential option?

Limit website access to location services:

and again fwiw I get similar System Analyser results with 160 Tasks and 800 threads on (albeit old  mid 2010) MBP 7,1 with 8GB RAM.

Baldrick wrote:....I would also rerun the Analyzer (assume that you know where from) and when it completes click on 'View Report Details' (bottom left hand corner of GUI), and once that displays then click on 'Save Full Report' (next to Close in bottom right hand corner of GUI) and in the Text window that opens see if you can save the details to disk (am assuming here that Mac version functionality is similar to PC version functionality...:$).

If you do manage to save the details then attach the file to your Support Ticket submission.
I wonder if the OP has received any feedback from his (presumably submitted) Support ticket?
I'm also interested on what specific threshholds WSA employ to output that status and whether he had any other items listed or just that one individual issue as I'm pursuing a similar range of  "performance" related items myself.

There are some features missing off the Mac platform version (eg System Optimiser, and probably with good reason? 😉 ) and the SA Detail Report does have some non-intuitive ambiguities in it's detail report. For example the detail of "large temporay file numbers" are shown in "Recovery section" of the detailed output in terms of separate User & System cache/tmp categories but only as total size and not file numbers?