Solved

No Green Checks next to websites on google/bing searches on google chrome

I use Google Chrome a lot and I used to have green check marks I think next to the search results and now they are gone.
icon

Best answer by nic 4 August 2014, 18:27

View original

68 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
All I can say is Webroot is working on it as Google is forcing all extensions to be installed via the Chrome store! 😠 Even though I have them installed it does not show Checkmarks but the Web Shield still works.

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It is confirmed as an issue with the latest version of Chrome.  Our dev team is working on getting this sorted out.
Userlevel 7
@ hope that you are well?

As you can see we are somewhat exercised by the fact that of Chrome v36 (despite it being announced as of v33) the Web Filtering Extension, whilst correctly installed no longer provides the check marking facility against search results.

I do remember that there was a discussion about this and the fact that Google was requiring extension suppliers to provide them via the Store, and I believe that you advised that Webroot are indeed looking to do that.  So my question is, if that is correct (not a figment of my imagination)/still the planned approach, would you be able to advise as to when they might be available form there?

Any info that yo can provide re. this state of affairs would, I am sure, be much appreciated by the users in the Community.

Many thanks in anticipation. :D

Regards

Baldrick 

Userlevel 7
Yup, that is precisely what I am seeing and is as I advised earlier in this thread...based on what you had advised in another previous thread on the same subject.  

Methinks that there are probably too many threads on this subject...LOL. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi rd52

I think that we need to see if @ can have a check for us as per the last time.  I suspect that the issue is with the hoops that Goggle are probably making extension providers jump through before their extensions can be hosted in the Google Store...but that is just my guess from what I know of Google.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi Zac-A-Tac

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Is that the Green check marks to the left of the results of a search with Google?  And if so then when did you first notice that they had 'disappeared'?

Also, have you checked under the Extensions Manager in Chrome that (a) you have the Webroot Extensions...there should be the Password Manager (if using Complete or Internet Security Plus) and the Web Filtering ones, and (ii) that if installed that they are also enabled?

Do post back and if that does not help we can see what more we can do to assist.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi MadeMeCry

Good thought.  The change in Google's policy re. extensions is annoying if somewhat understandable...and I believe that as a result Webroot is looking to change the way that its extensions are made avaialble to users, i.e., that at some point in the future they will be downloadable from the store.

But if & when that change takes place I do not have any information on...so I guess that it is a case of...'watch for the anouncement'.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
OK, Gang...have just checked out both the latest Beta (v37) & the latest Dev (v38) versions and the behaviour is the same as being seen for v36 (heads up courtesy of Made Me Cry...;))...the Password Manager works fine but the Web Filtering extension will not play ball...or rather Chrome is not playing ball with the Webroot extension.

One is still very well protected by WSA, even without the Web Filtering extension working, as advised by Daniel previously, so it really is currently down to choice as to whether to allow the upgrade to v36 or stay current.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit...:D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
LOL!

Something tells me you are not alone!

My impression of this new policy is not just to protect the users, but another means of control.

@ wrote:
Hi Beth

Maybe...but, frankly, I don't think that they gave anyone a break but rather they are a chaotic organisation that was unable to implement what they stated, and they are late in implementing this frankly crass measure.

I am surprised that a number of large software companies have not complained about this.

Just my opinion though.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@BB97 wrote:
LOL!

Something tells me you are not alone!

My impression of this new policy is not just to protect the users, but another means of control.

@ wrote:
Hi Beth

Maybe...but, frankly, I don't think that they gave anyone a break but rather they are a chaotic organisation that was unable to implement what they stated, and they are late in implementing this frankly crass measure.

I am surprised that a number of large software companies have not complained about this.

Just my opinion though.

Regards

Baldrick
 Well as I see it theres alot of other Browsers out there so who is controling who!!:D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeppers but it can't be said enough my friend! LOL

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for getting to the bottom of this everyone.  I'll pass this up the chain and see if there is any update about getting everything listed in the store.
WSA version 8.0.4.115 out now.  Also Chrome extension updated and now in webstore.  Green check marks are now working but I found I needed to delete the extension in Chrome (as it still showed as insstalled by 3rd party even though updated to 1.0.0.40) and reinstall from the Chrome store (here).
Userlevel 7
But, Beth

That is again my point.  I always have had it installed in Chrome (plus 3 other browsers) and HAD it installed in Chrome before and after the latest release...and the approach did not work for me.

So, the method that you have described may well work for most but does not work for ALL/is not fullproof to remedy the issue...that is all I was trying to explain and make sure that users are clear about that.

As, after all...clarity is what we are about, eh?

Regards

Baldrick
Webroot Filtering Extension Mac 1.0.1.40 - I have that enabled..it just isn't working?
Userlevel 7
OK, well it could be but I run both under Chrome in Windows and they have never interfered with the Web Filtering Extension.

If you need guidance on how to uninstall/reinstall then I can provide the following, courtesy of one of our Mac using Community members @ , who advises:

"To uninstall and reinstall Webroot SecureAnywhere, follow the instructions below.

** Part 1: Uninstall Webroot **

1. Shut down SecureAnywhere by clicking the Webroot icon (green W) in the menu bar and selecting Shut Down SecureAnywhere.

2. If prompted, confirm that you want to shut down SecureAnywhere.

3. Open the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the dock.

4. Open the Applications directory.

5. Click and drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere program icon into the Trash in the dock.

6. A confirming window appears. Click Uninstall.

7. Webroot SecureAnywhere is now uninstalled. There is no need to restart your computer.

** Part 2: Reinstall Webroot **

1. Click here to download the SecureAnywhere installer to your Mac.

2. Double-click wsamac.dmg to open the installer.

3. Drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon into the Applications folder.

4. Open the Applications folder by double-clicking the folder icon.

5. In the Applications folder, double-click the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon to begin activation.

6. In the first activation window, enter your keycode and if prompted, confirm the installation by entering your Apple system password and click OK. 

8. The next screen describes SecureAnywhere's Safari extension. Click the Install Safari Extension button, and confirm any prompts that appear. 

9. In the Safari dialog, click Install. 

10. When the Activation Successful screen opens, click Scan Now. Please allow this scan to complete. It will only take a few minutes to run. 

11. In the Scan Complete window, click Close. The main window opens. 

You can verify at any time that SecureAnywhere is running by looking for the Webroot icon (green W) in your menu bar."

Hope that helps if you do decide to try the uninstall/reinstall.

Alternatively you could also uninstall and then reinstall Chrome itself.  That has also apparently worked for some Mac users who have experienced this same issue.

Regards

Baldrick
Okay I reinstalled it, but there is no change in the arrows D8.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi I'm sorry I'm on a cell and cannot get on my Mac right now so Thankyou Baldrick as I believe an uninstall of Chrome would be easier. Like you first mentioned and then do uninstall 're install Webroot and if need be contact support via a support ticket..

Good Luck!
Userlevel 7
Hi Sordid-justice

No problem at all...just a shame that none of the suggestions have worked for you.  I have been researching the Community and I have found the following thread that my yield some other avenues...may be worth a look...but really I think that it is time to Open a Support Ticket and let the Support Team try to resolve the issue for you.  They can look at more detailed logs and the like and may well be able to identify the issue.

I would open the ticket and copy/past the link to this thread so they have all the information and you can save yourself the time of a lengthy explanation of what has been tried, etc.

I hope that works for you.  Please do come back here and let us know if you have managed to get this resolved and what the resolution was in your case.  Such information is always useful to the Community when try to provide help in the future.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Well, Sherry, I do not have the Incognito setting checked in my installation under Chrome so i do not think that is material...but never hurts to try. ;)

I still humbly believe that a Support Ticket is the best route/way forward at this point, if Sordid-justice wants to pursue it.

Well, it is well past my bed time so I will bow out now and leave you in Sherry's capable hands S-J.

Have a great weekend...and apologies that I could not do more to help.

Regards

Baldrick
Check marks stopped working for me in Chrome when it upgraded from v35 to v36 a few days ago.  I guess the extension needs updating.  I have heard that Google is going to put restrictions on extensions being installed by 3rd parties, outside of the Chrome store, so maybe there is something implemented in v36 on this. 
Userlevel 7
Welcome to the community metamorph!

Thank you for your feedback.

It appears that this has become an issue since the upgrade of Chrome to 36.

I believe that  MadeMeCry hit the nail on the head, Google Chrome may be the causing this.

Sorry for the inconveniebce.

Beth

Userlevel 7
Hi Beth

Just my opinion though.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Cheers, Nic...many thanks for chasing this up and keepiong us up to date on this.  I do hope that they can sort the issue soon.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@BB613 wrote:
@ wrote:
What is really interesting is that if you go into the Store from the option under ToolsExtension, and then search using 'Webroot'  all you get is reference to the BrightCloud Reputation Toolbar...no sign of:

Webroot Filtering Extension 1.0.0.40

which is what you find when you take MadeMeCry's link.

Something not right here?

Regards

Baldrick
Hi!

go to your extension, click visit website. the store will say its installed. leave that window open, go to your extension, remove it.

go back to the store and then click on add/install, it will install the new version. you may have to enable it

I had already done it when I noticed WSA had an update. It works great, green checks are back!

Beth

No, not correct.  That is exactly what I tried and it DID NOT work for me.  So I suspect that it will not work for everyone.

Baldrick