Solved

Second Anti Virus?

• 22 November 2013
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 2
HI
I was wondering since WSA doesn't scan emails if it would be all right to add a second anti Virus,,I'm thinking Cryptlocker and other infected attachments

Tom
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 19 December 2013, 00:55

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 2
Thank you!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you want to yes you can but do you need it I think not. Just a note about the firewall: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
The reason I mentioned Vipre(Internet Security) is because i have a lot of time left on subscription.It also has a firewall...:cathappy:
Userlevel 7
My tip...just to make sure that they play well together...is to make sure that you whitelist/trust/exclude (what ever the term is) WSA in the other AV/IS, AND add the key executables of the other IS/AV as 'Allow' under the 'Block/Allow Files' tab in the PC Security settings section.

Whilst WSA is indeed designed from the outset to work with/to complement other IS/AV applications, I have always done that when running WSA & KIS together...and they have played very nicely with each other.

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
WSA uses Windows firewall. So if your using a suite with a firewall or a stand alone firewall its best to disable Windows Firewall. Emsisift AntiMalware tends to be heavy on a system. WSA all by itself is plenty sufficient. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes either one would work as WSA is designed to work with other AV's, AM's and Firewalls if wanted.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 2
I'm trying Emisoft anto malaware alongside Secureanywhere..seems ok so far..Tried it with vipe internet security but I don't know if both firewalls would work together?

:cathappy:

Userlevel 2
MSE has the worst detection rates out of any antivirus on the market. Its is constantly scoring low and even failing tests. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You could but it's not very good if you have any issues that you think is malware related the first thing you should do in contact the Webroot Support Inbox as they are the one's that can deal with such things and it's free of Charge!

Daniel
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi,  would 'Microsoft Security Essentials' be OK to run with WSA Antivirus? 
Userlevel 7
@ explanoit, thanks for your awesome post:D
Userlevel 2
Tried Outlook.com. Way too buggy. Emails taking hours to be pushed to my phone. But I also use Google Docs, Google Drive (25GB for free), and Google Calendar. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And I don't like Gmail I have an outlook.com one but everything is linked to my addresses in my Outlook 2013 I have 6 via my ISP of the last 10+ years. Even if I left them I can still get them via Yahoo address.

Daniel
Userlevel 2
@ Daniel..................Just cause your ISP uses Yahoo doesnt mean your force to use it. I do not use mine at all. My cousin has Comcast and doesnt use his. We both use Gmail. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have many ISP's to choose from also but I got an all 4 in one package at a better deal and I have no issues with Yahoo mail.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 5
Luckily I live in a country where I'm not stuck with having only one ISP option.

I do use Yahoo Mail (for a long time even), but only as a place to collect disposable emails.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's sad Johan, but when your ISP only serve's up Yahoo mail well you take it or leave it as for me I take it and Outlook 2013 Spam filter picks up 80% of the Spam and the others I report to Microsoft as they add new updates to the filter every month on Patch Tuesday.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Lol @ Yahoo.

Yahoo doesn't even use Yahoo: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/385597/only-25-of-yahoo-staff-eat-their-own-dog-food
Userlevel 2
Yahoo is a joke. AT&T uses Yahoo. Within 6 months I had 100-200 spams a day. Yes they went into spam but holy crap. 4 years with Gmail and ZERP spam,. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
My ISP uses Yahoo mail and I use Outlook 2013 and you should see how much Spam attachments I get and who does Yahoo use for Protection? They should be stopped even before they get into my inbox. Also how about the enterprise users I'm sure they don't use web mail?

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Better yet in todays world everyone should be using web based email. Yahoo, Google and AOL all scan your emial for viruses. POP email like Outlook is a thing of the past for home users. I myself have been using Gmail for years. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ You're welcome ttomm46
Userlevel 2
Very Helpful..thank you!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ @ 
:cathappy:
Thanks and you're welcome!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
"You are right that Webroot doesn't scan email. However, ..........."  (Quote massively shortened)
Explanoit, 

WOW what a great post!  (Bookmarked)