Solved

Webroot complete on a mac running Maverick

• 17 January 2014
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 2
Looking forward to others experience with this software on their mac.  I like the quick scan and the low low resources used, but I do find two "bugs" that i experience.  First, the system analyzer took does not work, period.  It has been stuck at 2% forever and when you open that module WSAC crashes and shuts down then restarts.  Second, the web threat shield does not work.  All I see are tiny gray question marks.  Perhaps I am missing something here, but I have read and rechecked all my settings.  Anyone else experiencing these issues on their mac?  
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 22 January 2014, 23:06

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Horseman. .i didnt know that either..
@ wrote:
Great Daniel...im out and about now so will clickk lnk when i get home. .appreciate your help again. ..
Don't forget you can also access (same) info from the embedded OSX "Help Center":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0d2tjcm1rnwx72/Screenshot%202014-04-03%2022.13.01.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great Daniel...im out and about now so will clickk lnk when i get home. .appreciate your help again. ..
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have a look here: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Mac-OS-X

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have a look here: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Mac-OS-X
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi TH, no I'm not finding it. I'm looking online for a screen capture utility so I haven't seen @ lately. I believe he knew Mac...thank you just the same..I could probably buy a new keyboard too since this Macs outdated and not wireless..Lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Do you have on the Pad Key Print Screen?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😠 Can anyone tell me how to do a screenshot of my activity monitor in the Maverick OS? Wondering how many processes Chrome uses and would like to do a screenshot of this...
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the recognition sherrijj, I am glad to help and it warms my heart to hear tech support helped you. Glad to see a change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Awww Mr. Baldrick You are so sweet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Horseman..I'm elated that my gender was corrected. No problems there. Everyone is soo sweet here in the community and I wish I could be a better Tyler and more tech savy explaining my issues. I have spent a lot of time with Support. My problems have been mostly corrected by WS support, remotely and escalating every time. It my mission to resolve Mavericks OS with WSA anyway possible as a consumer. Any advice and/or help is greatly appreciated. Still learning on this site where to go and where to post and to whom. It would be difficult to explain everything that went wrong with old HD and new HD. Hang in there with me if you have time and maybe I can help other Mac users someday. Have a nice day Tony.
Userlevel 7
Hi Tony

Am with Virginmedia too, but they seem to have forgotten about us when it comes to superdooper broadband, etc...but after hearing about your issues I am beginning to wonder if I should just stay as is...for the moment. :8

Interesting what you post in relation to sherjj's problems...and may be something for her to mention to Support when they get back in touch.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

Baldrick
@ wrote:
Hi horseman

How are you doing...long time no post? :D

Sherjj is in fact a Lady...rather than a guy...;), and as to having a "satisfactory roadmap to resolving..." her issues...I could not possibly say as I am no Mac expert...as you well know...:(?

Regards

Baldrick
Bless you - usual floundering but still tentatively alive! Currently unsuccessfully attempting to suffer fools gladly whilst UK's main cable ISP (Virgin Media) is rolling out SuperBoost/SuperChar (or some asinine marketing title) upgrades and their own configured F-Secure Cloud storage application to be released in a month or so. ;)
Needless to say, just like this hallowed fora - there's a marked sparcity of Mac users trialling the latter as well...   :( 

My profuse apologies to the dear lady - I was temporarily gender dis-orientated thus offering a  tenuous mitigation in my defense relating to my advancing senility...  :(

Well I'm no Mac expert either so she's in good company!  ;) 

It was just some of her symptoms appeared to relate to cratering the Mac OSX journalling system back last year which was exacerbated(if not caused) by an unilaterally certification change that Apple did between Mavericks Beta and 10.9.0 production release. 
That was subsequently "worked-around" by WSA but caused me some hair pulling and thus I'm now sharing part of your Forum handle! ;) 
I've probably got the timeline completely wrong along with my guess at her environment/Lan topology anyway but using another procured (internal) HDD (double capacity of existing, subject to her Mac spec obviously) and using target access to bit copy a bootable image volume via Mac DISK UTILITY may have preserved her recoverable data as well and some more comprehensive forensics for WSAC support?
I fear the HDD(s) may now be overwritten beyond salvageable anyway....   😞   

Along with that pessimistic prognosis I hope she also won't take further offence at me rudely refering to her in the third person either!

But she is in far better/safer hands with WSA Support than some of us archmchair "wanna-be" diagnosticians that's for sure! ;)
We all wish her the best no doubt....
Userlevel 7
Hi horseman

How are you doing...long time no post? :D

Sherjj is in fact a Lady...rather than a guy...;), and as to having a "satisfactory roadmap to resolving..." her issues...I could not possibly say as I am no Mac expert...as you well know...:(?

Regards

Baldrick
@ wrote:
Hi sherjj

The place for this is over in the Ideas Exchange (see link at the top of this page)...and there already is a https:///t5/Ideas-Exchange/Mac-forum-needed/idi-p/78687 for such a thing.  So amble over to there and you will be able to add your comments, support the idea by kudoing it, and general see what others are saying about the idea......
Cheers - I knew if I waited long enough then I wouldn't have wear my typing digit out and do it myself! ;)

Incidentally does Sherjj have a satisfactory roadmap to resolving his issues?  I was a tad confused with his symptoms/timeline and his somewhat apparently unstructured approach that potentially risks loosing not only the forensics but at worst loosing any recoverable data?

WSAC support would have normally explained those risks and/or hand-held him thru the process anyway but it's a tad difficult (and time consuming) ensurinng the user has provided all the relevant environment info by doing that remotely via Support Tickets unless they arrange a remote session as well?
Userlevel 7
Hi sherjj

The place for this is over in the Ideas Exchange (see link at the top of this page)...and there already is a feature request for such a thing.  So amble over to there and you will be able to add your comments, support the idea by kudoing it, and general see what others are saying about the idea.

The Community Management Team monitor the Exchange and whilst there is no promise that they will act on the features suggested they do provide feedback on the ideas, etc.

Hope that helps? ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I would be enthusiastic to see a mac only webroot forum category.  We may be small in umbers, but we still pay for the service and we need assistance too.  I truly hope the power to be embrace this.

Yes, It would be awesome for lack of a better word. I'v read all these posts from Horseman thanks to referrals from the community..our advisors, that if Mac users could retrieve more information about trouble shooting our Macs then we wouldn't in up in the wrong forums? Aw having trouble here. I agree that it would be a relief to have a Mac WRA section. I've gone through all of these issues since October, November, December with the help of WR support tickets. They do respond quickly and I can't tell you how grateful I am for their support. Dedicated to their job and you can't beat it. Yes a clean install of Maverick and a new HD did help me but I have a just one more issue for them and hopefully its a simple fix. I appreciated the lenthy posts from Horseman and from you Bobbyinpa. Nice to have you in this WRA community. Learning from the best here.
Userlevel 7
Good idea...so bobbyinpa...why don't you take a trip over to the Ideas Exchange and suggest that as a new feature request...;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
I would be enthusiastic to see a mac only webroot forum category.  We may be small in umbers, but we still pay for the service and we need assistance too.  I truly hope the power to be embrace this.
Userlevel 7
Go on Tony...fill yer own boots...David is right...he is known as a PC reprobate 😉...so a Mac Forum suggestion from him will not cut as much ice as if it comes from someone like you.

Just a friendly nudge...in the right direction. :D

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@DavidP1970 wrote:
..... Why don't you toss in a new Idea at the Contribute section asking that they consider creating one?

Now you and I have already had that discussion on another thread ! 😉  So you know what my (polite) response will be?  ;)

You fill yer boots and go for it!   Good luck.
It would make no sense for me to do so as everyone at Webroot already knows I am not a Mac user 🙂
@DavidP1970 wrote:
..... Why don't you toss in a new Idea at the Contribute section asking that they consider creating one?

Now you and I have already had that discussion on another thread ! 😉  So you know what my (polite) response will be?  ;)

You fill yer boots and go for it!   Good luck.
Userlevel 7
.I think a Mac Forum would be a good idea (I am not a Mac user myself).  I try my best to give helpful tips when I can to Mac questions, but my abilities there are admittedly rather insufficient and I know it!

As the Mac product is pretty new still, there had not been much of a need for a Mac forum.  WIth the increase in Mac userbase, maybe it is time to have one!  Why don't you toss in a new Idea at the Contribute section asking that they consider creating one?

@ wrote:
....  If I click on system cleanup, it states the command was sent, but system analyzer always reports I have mucho temp files and cookies that may contain personal info.   Perhaps this does not work on a mac like the PC?...........
 Tony, could all this information be sent to Lucas at the mac division of Webroot?  I think this may help him out a great deall and prevent any frustrations.  Again, thanks to all.
FWIW I'm relieved a clean re-install fixed the SA issue although personally I wouldn't have thought a prior OS re-install was also neccessary? There is a convoluted method of stopping the WSservices and deleting files at the "root level" if any WSA remnants are left  when attempting the usual de-install method is percieved to have potentially failed but dabbling with "hidden root user" or even marginally safer sudo terminal commands can be somewhat hazardous. Re-installing OS is understandably safer albeit more time consuming while achieving the desired result.

There's certainly some learning curve on Mac with WSA regarding the client perhaps compared to PC as the latter has a far longer history from Prevx/WSA Development point of view back to mid/early part of last decade. I often think when searching for Mac specific problems that there could be some value add to all readers if Mac issues were separated out into a Mac (specific) Board. Clearly Forum management don't think that's necessary.

Obviously backend issues would be common to both Mac & PC so perhaps avoiding a OS distinction is Forum managements justification in not granting the far smaller number of Mac users having a separate board? 
Otherwise the Mac HFS+ file system and OS housekeeping is(debatably)  less suceptable to the detritus and fragmentation sometimes experienced on Windows FS and/or it's associated registry "hive"? 

As regards Lucas's potential interest I can't comment - I don't work for WSA nor have any authoritative insight into how Support are staffed.  However I suspect only a detailed SA report is of any use anyway along with usual scan log report?. These are far too long to include here "inline" but a public link to an external repository share could be an alternative?

Regarding the cookies and temporary files I repeatedly get the latter and also remotely invoking System Cleaner(or any local alternative maintenance utility) doesn't appear to reduce these anyway. Be aware that the command(on Management Consol) are "queued" and won't be "pushed" untill the agent has otherwise contacted WRserver at some point or the end client user has requested a "Check for Updates". :(

So there may well be some delay, and possibly even between reboots?

I actually queried the VP of Development on (another Website) what thresholds they employed in SA itself to generate the reports but was subsequently informed these were "largely provided mainly for WSA's more technical partners"! 😞 I think he really meant "Don't ask - I have'nt got time to explain!" ;)

Userlevel 7
Hi bobbyinpa

Thanks for all the feedback...great stuff.  I am sure that Lucas will find this interesting so I have PM'd him on your behalf with the link to your post.

Hope that hekps?

Regards

Baldrick