Skip to main content
Solved

False positive, recommending my customers uninstall your product

• 22 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have many customers using your software and it is blocking my vpn from working, you’ve lost 5 customers this week as ive recommended that they use malwarebytes instead.

I contacted you ages ago on email and was told since my app doesnt have a cert you wont approve it.

Well malwarbytes and most of the other avs have approved my vpn.

So you leave me no choice but to tell my customers to uninstall your anti virus.

I have 44,000 users of my vpn.

If you wish to stop loosing customers i suggest you whitelist my file moving forward.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1bddf19534aee07e5a11afb46e224dad3982b68f8e73a91ca16669f4e92329e9

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @sbmmoff 

Please contact Webroot support Directly to get this sorted as it’s up to them to remove the detection or leave it in place and we can’t do anything on the Community!

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket 24/7/365 it’s the best way!

Call 1-866-612-4227  during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MST)

Also phone numbers from around the world: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/about/contact-us

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Interesting since your post earlier today. http://snup.webrootcloudav.com/SkyStoreFileUploader/upload.aspx

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1bddf19534aee07e5a11afb46e224dad3982b68f8e73a91ca16669f4e92329e9/community

Hacktool is a false positive, i obfuscate my exe as it was previously decompiled as it wasn’t encrypted.

The suggestion by webroot was i don’t obfuscate my exe which is ludicrous as it opens up the possibility for my source code to get stolen.

Fact is all of the top anti virus vendors had no issues understanding its a vpn and why the code is obfuscated and thus green lit my app for years without a certificate.

Webroot says without a certificate they will not allow the file.

Very unprofessional and out of the norm.

I have 44,000 users and have been in business since 2021.

Webroot is the only AV ever to tell me i must get a certificate to get whitelisted.

Im not gonna be black mailed into getting a cert when all the top av companies dont tell me this and have all green lit my vpn for years.

I am simply going to pass on this communication to my customers and tell them to uninstall webroot which all of them have done and ive referred them to malwarebytes instead which have been a joy to work with i have to say.

Here is the ticket i opened with webroot:

Hi,

Of course its obfuscated so people cant decompile and rip my software.

Anyways all the other good av companies allowed it. I will just tell everyone to uninstall your software as its crap and you are unwilling to help unlike most of the other anti virus companies.

Thanks

Webroot Support (Jul 22, 2024 15:59)

RE:false positive

Hello,

We had our threat research team look into the file and our determinations will still change. The file is still not signed and there are obfuscated commands executions of code through the VPN. Currently we are unable to allow this in our system and the detection will remain the same.

Should users want to use the VPN with our protection, or other antivirus's that detect this, the user can create local overrides. This is suggested for tools and applications that antivirus programs detect as bad when users desire to keep the files.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or new information regarding this case.

Kind regards,
Webroot Global Escalation Team

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Okay but that is with the Threat team and as I said we can’t do anything on the community so don’t be blasting us or I will close this thread.

I have 44,000 users and i have been in operation for years and i am being treated like some person who made an app last week.

No other av company has acted like this or treated me in such a fashion, i expect they have possible decrypted my exe and know its safe where as webroot simply doesn’t have the capability to do so. Hence the i must get a certificate line.

Okay but that is with the Threat team and as I said we can’t do anything on the community so don’t be blasting us or I will close this thread.

I am not blasting you, i am simply airing the response and why i think it is unfair and unjust.

Okay i will shut my mouth, thanks for your assistance.