News

Carbonite to Acquire Webroot

Carbonite to Acquire Webroot

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

108 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Have to wait and see before jumping ship...but Carbonite managed to corrupt all my backups...so I hope their software engineers don't slither across the aisle and poison all of Webroot's
Have to wait and see before jumping ship...but Carbonite managed to corrupt all my backups...so I hope their software engineers don't slither across the aisle and poison all of Webroot's
Yuk. Another negative Carbonite experience. Out of curiosity, was that recent or a few years back?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I chose webroot mainly because Kaspersky had poor support in Europe. Now, back in the US, I guess I'll give them another try. Webroot is a good thing, but I don't want to be a Carbonite customer. https://usa.kaspersky.com
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Wow, my comments above were censored by WR. I simply suggested that the CEO enjoy his golden parachute. WR censored that?

Shameful repression of customer opinions.

Carbonite screwed Rush. I think we see where this is all headed. I'll buy from Russian Christians, rather than commie SJWs at Carbonite.

Kaspersky.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@Ceferino I got censored a few weeks back, not long after the new Community launched. I was replying to someone who was having some general security issues, unrelated to Webroot, offering some suggestions. I wrote a fairly long post with links to helpful content. When I posted it, a banner appeared at the top of the screen saying a Community Moderator would review it before it went live. The post never went live and the user didn't get the help they needed. The only thing I can think of for why that post didn't get approved was referencing LastPass, which competes with Webroots own, apparently failing, password manager. I only referenced it because I use it and was familiar with how it worked. I even said that there are other password managers out there to chose from. Apparently Webroot can't accept competition or negative opinions.
Userlevel 7
Apparently Webroot can't accept competition or negative opinions.
Negative opinions??? Have you read this whole post, full of negative opinions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@Ceferino I got censored a few weeks back, not long after the new Community launched. I was replying to someone who was having some general security issues, unrelated to Webroot, offering some suggestions. I wrote a fairly long post with links to helpful content. When I posted it, a banner appeared at the top of the screen saying a Community Moderator would review it before it went live. The post never went live and the user didn't get the help they needed. The only thing I can think of for why that post didn't get approved was referencing LastPass, which competes with Webroots own, apparently failing, password manager. I only referenced it because I use it and was familiar with how it worked. I even said that there are other password managers out there to chose from. Apparently Webroot can't accept competition or negative opinions.

Hey Nic,
Let me look into this. It may have been flagged for moderation by accident or the automated process may have flagged it. Feel free to PM me the direct link to the post in question so I can investigate further.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Have to wait and see before jumping ship...but Carbonite managed to corrupt all my backups...so I hope their software engineers don't slither across the aisle and poison all of Webroot'sYuk. Another negative Carbonite experience. Out of curiosity, was that recent or a few years back?

It was actually more than 5 years ago so I might made an unfair commentary on the subject...still love Webroot tho
It was actually more than 5 years ago so I might made an unfair commentary on the subject...still love Webroot tho
Good to hear. Let's hope that they are better at not corrupting backed up data now than they were when you experienced that incident.

Don't want to push you too much on this but if you can remember, and I realise it may be too long ago for you to do so, would you be able to place a year on that incident??
Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Ceferino I got censored a few weeks back, not long after the new Community launched. I was replying to someone who was having some general security issues, unrelated to Webroot, offering some suggestions. I wrote a fairly long post with links to helpful content. When I posted it, a banner appeared at the top of the screen saying a Community Moderator would review it before it went live. The post never went live and the user didn't get the help they needed. The only thing I can think of for why that post didn't get approved was referencing LastPass, which competes with Webroots own, apparently failing, password manager. I only referenced it because I use it and was familiar with how it worked. I even said that there are other password managers out there to chose from. Apparently Webroot can't accept competition or negative opinions.Hey Nic,
Let me look into this. It may have been flagged for moderation by accident or the automated process may have flagged it. Feel free to PM me the direct link to the post in question so I can investigate further.

Thanks

@freydrew thanks for asking to look into this. However, I should apologize. Apparently my post did get posted eventually. I checked it for a week after I posted it, and it hadn't been posted. Given that amount of time, I figured it had been rejected.

I can understand having a system in place where a post needs to be authorized before being posted. However, if there's going to be that much of a delay, you might want to have some type of notification to the poster that their post was either accepted or rejected. You could do this via a PM, including a link to the post. This way they can easily see what's happened in the post between their submission and its approval.

Here's the link to it if you or anyone is interested. Also, please accept my sincerest of apologizes for blaming Webroot for censoring me when they didn't.

Sincerely,
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
It was likely picked up by the spam filter since you have several links to external organizations. We're still training the spam settings, so I apologize if you see a post disappear, and please let me know if you do so I can fix it.
Userlevel 7
It was likely picked up by the spam filter since you have several links to external organizations. We're still training the spam settings, so I apologize if you see a post disappear, and please let me know if you do so I can fix it.

Well, this new forum software sucks! That is all I will say. I still do not get notifications of comments.

e.g. I got a notification of this post earlier, today, by Dan @TripleHelix - https://community.webroot.com/wsa-for-home-beta-73/firefox-just-updated-to-65-0-1-and-the-web-filter-is-nowhere-to-be-seen-337316 , but none about subsequent posted comments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Well, this new forum software sucks! That is all I will say. I still do not get notifications of comments.

e.g. I got a notification of this post earlier, today, by Dan @TripleHelix - https://community.webroot.com/wsa-for-home-beta-73/firefox-just-updated-to-65-0-1-and-the-web-filter-is-nowhere-to-be-seen-337316 , but none about subsequent posted comments.

@Tarnak not everyone is going to see my post because it's from the hidden Beta Group.
Userlevel 7
@TripleHelix

I realize that, but I still should be receiving notification of subsequent comments, surely, since I am subscribed to the Beta group.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@Tarnak look for a PM from me! https://community.webroot.com/inbox/overview
Userlevel 7

Thanks Dan,

I have seen it. I just can't keep up with all your "rapid fire" comments.😁
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thanks Dan,

I have seen it. I just can't keep up with all your "rapid fire" comments.😁

☠️
Userlevel 7

Are you a pirate? 😂

BTW, I can't find the page in the index of Community Forum, from that image that posted in your PM to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Are you a pirate? 😂

BTW, I can't find the page in the index of Community Forum, from that image that posted in your PM to me.

You can't post pictures in PM's so I uploaded it and gave you a link to it.
Userlevel 7
I found it - https://community.webroot.com/wsa-for-home-beta-73 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Personally, I am VERY concerned about this, concerned enough to consider a different virus protection software when my subscription expires. My husband used Mozy as backup. Carbonite bought them and increased the price. I've been using Carbonite as a backup vendor for several years, until I realized I could get a lot more files backed up for less than half the cost. I had not been totally happy with them for a while. Several photography communities did not like Carbonite. And it had become a data hog. Literally the day after I uninstalled Carbonite from my computer, I got the email the Carbonite was buying Webroot. I don't need to renew until the end of the year - we'll see what happens. I have a gut feeling I'll be going elsewhere for virus protection and password management (which has not been working on Firefox as a password manager extension since last fall anyway).
Userlevel 7
Negative comments about Carbonite do not not bode well for the future of the WSA. Just my take on the general nature of comments made in this topic. I got a feeling - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztIEogFr9j4
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
Wow! This appears to be the thread that just keeps on giving. Seriously, isn't it time to just chill a bit? Wait and see. No, really... sit down, take a l-o-n-g breath and wait and see what transpires. If you have a subscription with WSA that is not due to expire in the next short while, relax. Why make bold statements that threaten your departure when the truth is - none of us know how this will all work out (or not). Give it some time and get on with your life. It's no big deal.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I had Carbonite several years ago and I do not want it again. Webroot is so unobtrusive, you don't know it's running in the background. Carbonite? Just the opposite.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Tarnak it appears the new community only sends one notification when a new comment has been added to a thread since you last visited the page. Visiting the page only registers if you're logged into the community. For example, I received an email that you posted the comment I'm quoting, which you posted 12 hours ago. Since your post, there have been 11 additional posts that I never received notifications about. This approach is a common forum UI method that helps keep users mailboxes from overflowing. I would have had 12 notifications for this one thread when I came into work and checked my email this morning. By using this method, I can get the one notification that takes me to the next new post I haven't read and read all the comments from then on.

Forums that use this UI method usually have a way to see all threads that your subscribed to that have new comments you haven't read. I see how to see my subscribed threads, but there isn't a way for it to show threads with unread comments. @LLiddell or @freydrew, is there a way to see this? If not, can it be added? If you add this, the link to the thread should take you to the first unread comment the user hasn't read.

FYI, while writing this, another comment was added to the thread. Because I had visited the thread, I received an email notification and there are now 12 comments since the comment I'm quoting.