Skip to main content

Find electric car charging stations in Apple Maps

Apple Maps makes it easy to find EV charging stations while you’re on the road to figure out where you can top up your electric car. Apple added some powerful new features in iOS 17 to simplify this sometimes-daunting process for EV owners. Now you can see electric car charger availability, charging speeds and connector types so you can find a way to juice up your vehicle.

Here’s how it works.

🚗 🚙 Full Article 🚙 🚗

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I will never buy an Electric Vehicle because of charging stations are not easy available here in Ontario.

Userlevel 7

I will never buy an Electric Vehicle because of charging stations are not easy available here in Ontario.

I would never buy one either and I don’t care if they had charging stations on every corner. People with electric cars froze their behinds off in this backup in Virginia that lasted about 18 hours or more.

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/i-95-shutdown-one-year-anniversary-snowstorm-virginia

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is a great addition to the app.

I fully understand the point of electric cars, but I'm also In the pessimistic column right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

I would never have one either, from what I have seen I just do not trust them.
And as for charging them, is it right some charging stations have been run on diesel generators?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

And as for charging them, is it right some charging stations have been run on diesel generators?

Really 🤯 And the fact of the effect on the power grid in some cases are over loaded as is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Really 🤯 And the fact of the effect on the power grid in some cases are over loaded as is.

The answer is yes !!! Put this question into Bing’s Copilot and you will find out

Have diesel generators been used sometimes to run car charging stations?

It just seems crazy.

​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I would never buy one either and I don’t care if they had charging stations on every corner. People with electric cars froze their behinds off in this backup in Virginia that lasted about 18 hours or more.

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/i-95-shutdown-one-year-anniversary-snowstorm-virginia

Oh, like a gasoline engines have never had a frozen block preventing them from starting? And when they don’t start, the don’t heat! This issue can happen to ANY car. 
And yes, I have an electric car, I have had it in the cold snow at Tahoe, and NEVER froze my butt off. 

And seriously, I have had my car for 4.5 years, and it has NEVER needed service other than tires. With regenerative breaking my breaks will last 250,000 miles. No oil changes, no radiator flushes, no standard 6 month maintenance.  And no stopping at gas stations. If that means that maybe once a year or less the battery may complain about the cold, Ill take it. 

Userlevel 7

Oh, like a gasoline engines have never had a frozen block preventing them from starting? And when they don’t start, the don’t heat! This issue can happen to ANY car. 
And yes, I have an electric car, I have had it in the cold snow at Tahoe, and NEVER froze my butt off. 

What does that have to do being stuck in traffic for 18 hours in the winter time? Both vehicles are already running. Who will still be running after 18 hours with a electric car at full charge with heater blowing and a gasoline engine full tank running at idle with heater on. I’ll stay with the gas guzzler. 

During the cold months:

What if you don’t have a plug in to charge at home?

What if you don’t have a garage to keep the car warmer than the outside temps?

Electric cars start losing charge as soon as they are shut off and they lose more charge if it’s colder outside.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

What does that have to do being stuck in traffic for 18 hours in the winter time? Both vehicles are already running. Who will still be running after 18 hours with a electric car at full charge with heater blowing and a gasoline engine full tank running at idle with heater on. I’ll stay with the gas guzzler. 

During the cold months:

What if you don’t have a plug in to charge at home?

What if you don’t have a garage to keep the car warmer than the outside temps?

Electric cars start losing charge as soon as they are shut off and they lose more charge if it’s colder outside.

Hey Pro,

OK, to be clear, not trying to change your mind about buying an electric vehicle (but have you seen the electirc Ford 150!!! Wow), nor  am I trying to piss you off, which I seem to have done (sorry), but your beliefs about electric cars are not entirely correct:

So, lets see...

18 hours running a gas engine to keep warm? Doubtful it will last that long unless you happen to have filled the tank to full before you left. So many people I know do not fill up until the car is mostly empty.

During cold months my car may preheat the battery so it runs just fine. I may loose a few total miles with the preheater but nothing significant. And if I prep for a long, cold, drive. I would fully charge it “somewhere close by” before heading out to be ready for that shorter range.

I happen to have a home charger now. But before that, there were chargers within 15 miles max of my daily drive. Usually I can find one right off the freeway.  If I can find a Level 3 charger, I can charge from 20% to 100%  in an hour. 15 minutes if I charge to 80% (about 270 miles range).  If not, I just go to a mall or store that has a level 2 charger and hang out shopping for a while if I need to fully charged. If I just need another 100 miles, I can do that in 10 to 15 minutes.  I have traveled far and wide in my electric car (range about 290 miles) and have yet to NOT find a charger when I need one. And I do not mean around cities, but back roads, long road trips, etc. To be clear,  I never charge to 100% unless I am going on a long road trip. Makes the battery last so much longer.

If one does not have a garage, the car may pre-heat the battery IF it gets cold enough to need it. Otherwise it heats while driving. Newer cars use the excess heat from the electronics to help heat the battery.  That 18 hour blizzard  temp does not happen all that often. Under”normal” very cold weather, the car performs fine, with some small loss for keeping the batter warm.  Has not been an issue, yet. 

There is indeed something called “phantom drain”. On my car, caused by the security system and on-line modem for updates and connectivity. Costs me maybe 2 miles a night. Big deal. But its been negligible to the total miles. 

And to add,  my car is 4.5 years old, and my battery has lost only 15 total miles in total range. So the myth the batteries degrade quickly is also just that, a myth. Unless you treat the batter poorly with bad charging habits. But you can kill a gas motor quickly with bad driving habit as well. 

They are not as big of a problem as you have been led to believe IF you plan properly and take care of the car. 

Just curious how many gas car drivers “froze their buts off” because they did not fill up their car before heading out in that 18 hour stoppage? Ill bet a lot! Strange that papers do not report that. 

There is one downside I’ll admit to, and that is range anxiety. Yes, there have been times I skipped a charger believing I could make it to the next one, say 80 miles away and then find myself watching total range drop and hope I make it. So far, I have. But its the same feeling I had when I would  skip a gas station and hope there is enough gas to find another. 

As they say, your mileage may vary. 

Cheers

Userlevel 7

Sometime next month I’m going to the car dealer to test drive an electric car. No, I’m not buying one, don’t have the $$$ for one. Test driving to put on my “Bucket List”. LOL

I seen this yesterday, thought it was funny:

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Sometime next month I’m going to the car dealer to test drive an electric car. No, I’m not buying one, don’t have the $$$ for one. Test driving to put on my “Bucket List”. LOL

Okay Cya! Boom…

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

If you get to pick which one, go to a Tesla Dealer, and ask to test drive the Model 3 Performance version. It's a roller coaster ride when you hit the pedal in “Ludicrous” mode. 

As for electric cars burning, no more pollution  than when a regular car burns. Although an electric car burns longer!  :-)