I have over 100 unsuccessful tries to log in to my hotmail since I changed my password

• 14 October 2014
  • 1 reply

Should I close my hotmail account permantly.  I got a message from microsoft saying a suspicious log on on my account.  When i checked, there were hundreds on log ons......not me.  I changed my password and increased security info.  Since then there were over a hundred unseccessful attempts (in about 12 hours of time).  I feel like this has to be computer generated, trying to find out my password.  Is just changing my password good enough? Should I close my email account?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hello RCummings, welcome to the Community!

The decision to keep or close the account is one you need to make on your own.  It is obvious that the account has been hacked once, and there is an ongoing attempt to get back into it.  I would review your new password and consider if it is secure enough, or if you need to make it longer/stronger.

Since the account has been hacked previously, that may lead to other issues.  If you have any bank accounts, other online accounts, anything that is tied to the Hotmail account as the email of record, all of those accounts may be at risk as well.  You will want to change the passwords for all of those as well.