Skip to main content

Ask Anything: What Happens In Your Computer When You Turn It On?

• 16 June 2014
  • 9 replies

No, the little mouse inside it does not start scrambling around. 

By Daniel Engber  

Before a computer can load its operating system and locate drivers for its components, it must recognize that it has been turned on at all. This task falls to a relatively simple device known as the power-on reset circuit. “In its very basic form, it’s simply a little capacitor and a resistor and a little inverter, something like that,” says David Blaauw, a professor in the Michigan Integrated Circuits Laboratory at the University of Michigan. The power-on reset circuit is hardwired to recognize a minimum voltage level. When voltage crosses that threshold, the circuit signals the processor to execute a set of commands that allow for the loading up of the system.

http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/ask-anything-what-happens-your-computer-when-you-turn-it

Nice read. Thanks for sharing.:)
And all that happens in 15 seconds for me? :D

Daniel

Very impressive Daniel. .. 🙂
Thanks it's usually between 12 and 16 seconds as I have 2 SSD's Drives and the 108 second one was during a Windows Update as you know it needs time to install the updates on reboot!

Daniel
Well Daniel that's an awesome setup so for my next Windows pc I'm going to get that laptop. ..Whoohoo. 🙂
Yea as I only use High End Laptops and I have no need for a Desktop anymore but you can get SSD's for Desktop Towers.

Daniel
Really Really. I haven't been updated with SSDs..so I'll keep my eyes on that for sure.. 🙂
It's just my opinion but I have 2 Muskin SSD's and made in the good oh USA for 3 years now without any issues I got them on newegg.ca but for you newegg.com

Daniel
Hey Daniel I really appreciate that information! 😉